Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Direct Instruction Lesson Planning

Over the past few weeks, I have been learning an unbelievable amount of information regarding Direct Instruction and designing a DI lesson plan.

I have never written a full lesson plan (MSMC style) before, so the thought of having to design and implement one is a little daunting.

I do feel more comfortable now, however, after having to evaluate a DI lesson plan.

Using the MSMC lesson plan rubric, I was able to really examine all parts of the lesson, making sure everything was present (Intro, development, guided practice, independent practice, accommodations, closure, evaluations, reflections) and everything matched (goals, standards, objectives).

To be honest, I wasn't all that excited to sit down and evaluate this lesson, but I'm glad I did.

As I was grading it, I began thinking of ways I would have written it instead, making improvements here and there.

I also began thinking of my own lesson plan. I feel much more confident that I will be able to write a successful lesson plan on my chosen or assigned topic.

The goal of DI is to have students master a concept and reach automaticity (The ability to automatically recall information without having to think about it...Ex: Math facts; addition, multiplication, etc.).

Information presented in DI should be in short chunks.

In the reading, Teaching on target: models, strategies, and methods that work by Daniel C. Elliott, it states that the teach should always explain, or model, the concept being taught. DI is used to teach basic skills. The students need to be shown how to do something.

Even if modeling wasn't a required part of DI, a teacher should still do it for visual learners (like myself).

Modeling should not look like the picture to the right. It is important that the teacher breaks everything down step-by step.

Modeling is the "I do" part of a lesson plan. The next step is the "We do", or guided practice.

In guided practice, the teacher and students work together. This is also a time for the teacher to evaluate the students understanding of the concept being taught.

Finally, there is independent practice, or "You do." This is where the students are required to try their hand at the material without the assistance of the teacher.

One of the most important things to remember when designing the lesson is to remember to constantly check for understanding and provide meaningful feedback to students.

If, as a teacher, you do not do these things, your lesson will not work and your students will not benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment