Sunday, July 25, 2010

Make Up Your Mind-Map


I created a mind-map for the three branches of government using Inspiration. I chose the three branches of government (Executive, Judicial, and Legislative) because I love history.

Since I will be an elementary school teacher, I could have chosen from any content area, but I decided history was best for this assignment.

The learning outcome of this mind map is for students to recognize what makes up the different branches of government, who belongs to each branch, each branch's responsibility, and to understand checks and balances.

Mind-mapping is a good tool for students to use, especially if they are visual learners. Being able to organize the information into a tree-like format could allow students to better understand the concept.

As a student, I have always been able to just read information out of a history textbook and remember and understand what was being read. I now realize how this could help students who learn in a different way.

Overall, this software was not too hard to use. It does take some getting used to, but it was a good experience. If, or when, I use Inspiration again, I need to explore even more of it's tools and be more creative in my designs.

I would ask that of my students, so why not do it myself.

1 comment:

  1. Mind mapping is an excellent tool to use for history. As you mentioned, many students do not have an easy time memorizing facts from textbooks. Therefore, mind mapping would be very helpful for visual learners. The process of creating mind maps would also help students learn important information. It could be a great tool to use in order to study for exams!
    -Kayleigh

    ReplyDelete